The SXSW Gamechanger Award honors outstanding women directors at the South By Southwest Film Festival. Presented annually, women directors or co-directors of narrative features screening at SXSW are eligible to opt in for consideration for the award, which comes with a cash prize of $2,500. In 2017, Gamechanger partnered with LUNA® to increase the cash prize to $10,000!
The 2017 SXSW LUNA® Gamechanger Award went to Ceylan Özgün Özçelik for her psychological thriller, Inflame (Kaygı).
Synopsis: Hasret’s dreams are haunted by a recurring nightmare, from which she disengages every morning. What she experiences nightly however, are not fictional recreations, but memories. As she returns from her job at a news channel, to a flat left to her after her parents’ death twenty years earlier, the questions slowly begins to creep up: did her parents really die in a car crash?
Written & Directed by: Ceylan Özgün Özçelik
Cast: Algı Eke, Özgür Çevik, Kadir Çermik, Selen Uçer, Boncuk Yılmaz, Asiye Dinçsoy, Ipek Türktan Kaynak, Kerem Kupacı
Producers: Adnan M. Şapçı, Sadık Ekinci, Emre Oskay, Armağan Lale, Ceylan Özgün Özçelik
The previous recipients of the SXSW Gamechanger Award are:
* 2016: Sophie Goodhart, My Blind Brother
* 2015: Yvonne Kerékgyártó, Free Entry
* 2014: Jen McGowan, Kelly & Cal
* 2014: Kat Candler, Hellion (Honorable Mention)
Gamechanger inherited the award from Chicken & Egg Pictures. Formerly known as the “Chicken & Egg Pictures Emergent Narrative Woman Director Award,” it was given to six honorees at SXSW from 2009 to 2013:
* 2013: Hannah Fidell, A Teacher
* 2012: Megan Griffiths, Eden & Amy Seimetz, Sun Don’t Shine (tie)
* 2011: Sophia Takal, Green
* 2010: Lena Dunham, Tiny Furniture
* 2009: Judi Krant, Made in China
Additionally, two “Chicken & Egg Pictures We Believe in You” special jury awards were given during this period to:
* Katie Graham, Zero Charisma
* Martha Stephens, Passenger Pigeons